Tuesday, August 30, 2011

TAO Journal - 5th Entry

Facebook - I observed five people use Facebook. Four of the five people, after signing into their account, immediately scrolled down their timeline. I asked how far they were scrolling down, and their replies explained that they were going back to the last thing they saw on the timeline when they checked previously. The one other person I observed clicked on her profile to see if her wall had sustained any changes. It hadn't. She then went to her timeline to look at her friends' activity. The trend in this study is the people checking their timeline and the anomaly the individual who went straight to her profile. I think this trend occurs because when people log into Facebook, the time feed is effectively the home page. Also, people get emails if something is posted to their wall or profile so the interest in others is ostensibly the reason for logging in without receiving an email. The anomaly could have occurred because the person does not regularly check email or prefers to find out changes to her wall/profile upon visiting the site. A random observation during this test was that 2 of the users looked at their timeline with the "Most Popular" filter, and the other three used the "Most Recent" filter.

Pictures - I went around taking pictures of groups of people to see how people took pictures with one another. Out of the ten I took, eight put their arms around each other. The other two groups (anomaly) did not. I began typing "the reason for the trend occurring is obvious" but I stopped and realized it's not all that obvious. Why do people embrace each other in pictures? I suppose it suggests friendship, but it's almost second nature that people embrace for pictures. I do not know why but it is truly a common phenomenon. The anomaly makes more sense - stand in the picture in your own capacity. The trend is almost like the two being photographed are going through space on a trip together. My observation from this test was that everyone smiled in the photos, even those that didn't embrace.

Presentation - In my classes this week I tried to analyze how people were presented their marker comp advertisements. I probably watched about 25 different presentations. Roughly 20 of those were presented by pinning up all the advertisements and then briskly going through each of the ads with back turned toward the rest of the class. The other five or so did not (anomaly). The other five differed from the trend in that they either pinned up each ad one at a time or they faced the class as they presented each one. I think the trend of lacking presentation skills is probably because we are first quarter students and have not been properly instructed how to present our work. The anomalies may have occurred because those people had been trained in other places to present in such a way. The observation I took from this experience was that most people seem in a hurry to get through their presentation and speak at a clipped rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment