Thursday, September 8, 2011

TAO Journal - 6th Entry

Circus Entry - This week I sat by the student entrance to the Circus to see how people entered through the ID badge entrance. I watched about 20 people come in around 4:30 pm on Tuesday. I found that the trend in people entering was that most, about 14, entered by putting their wallet up to the external sensor. This means that the ID card is kept in their wallets where they are less likely to forget the badge. The anomaly -About two others had the badge hung around their neck and then leaned towards the sensor to scan. And another four just took the card from their pocket or purse to scan. I think the anomaly occurred because the badge looks like something your supposed to wear with it's lanyard. It's a little surprising more people weren't wearing them around their neck really. But the trend makes sense as the card can be easily kept in your wallet and you are less likely to forget your wallet than an ID badge that no one checks and isn't absolutely required for building admission. An observation from this trend, for instance, is that at least three people that I watched during my observation had forgotten their card and asked someone outside to let them in.

Searching for New Music In Store

I was at Criminal Records in Little Five Points last weekend (Saturday) and after I did my own shopping watched people enter the store and shop. From what I could tell from the roughly 10 people I saw come in, almost all of them came in and began loosely browsing. No one that I saw came in and asked a clerk where a certain item was. They pretty much all went to seemingly random parts of the store where other people weren't clogging up the foot traffic to begin browsing. I believe this trend occurred because record stores aren't necessarily a place where new music is debuted - a lot of people that come in are collectors and want to see what has been attained by the store since their last visit as there is a lot of turnover in record stores. The anomaly to this trend was that one person came in, walked directly to one row of records, appeared to look through a stack, and when she couldn't find it, left the store. I assume this act occurred because she was looking for a particular item and knew where to look for it, but the item was not there. A sad observation from this TAO - Criminal Records is going out of business in November unless they can get enough community support.

MLB The Show '11 Online Gameplay

I play a baseball game online made for the Playstation 3. After signing in, you go to an online forum in which users can find other users to play against. A game is typically arranged by determining who in the room wants to play by typing "GM" into the chat box. GM is an abbreviation for "game" indicating you want to play. Yesterday I observed about twenty people in the room. Of them, a trend of about 15 simply typed "GM" into the chat box, making it the trend. The other five anomalies typed in GM along with their specific qualifications they prefer in the game (such as pitching/batting interfaces). This is uncommon but I understand why someone might include it in their initial offering of a game. I think the makers of the game should allow users to simply toggle their game play preferences and submit them for public view. My observation from this TAO is that the majority of the people in the room were not engaged in playing a game and appeared to be idle (not seeking a game).

No comments:

Post a Comment